The Zapata Flyboard Air™
The jet powered personal aerial vehicle, capable of VTOL and unprecedented individual mobility. The Zapata© technology platform is the safest, easiest, lightest, most maneuverable personal aviation system ever created.
The Zapata Difference
Inventors have been chasing the dream of personal flight for decades, but no one else has achieved it in the way that Zapata has. Zapata’s unique and innovative approach comes from its experience in hydroflight, its use of turbine engines over conventional electric propellers and the use of intuitive flight controls designed around the human body.
- Turbine engines have up to ten times the power to weight ratio of other power sources.
- You can install a lot more power into a confined space.
- More efficient in turning chemical energy into thrust.
Consolidation of Thrust
- Greatly increases maneuverability and speed.
- Opens the possibility of engine redundancy and graceful degradation.
- Losing an engine has a less dramatic impact that can easily be compensated by the E.C.U. and pilot adjustments.
Intuitive Flight Controls
- Very easy to learn.
- Designed to be flown without pilot training.
- Designed around the human body and our natural ability to balance.
- Safely train on the water Flyboard®
Engineered for Safety & Redundancy
- With engine out capability, the Flyboard Air can lose one engine and still continue the mission. If two engines go out, the Flyboard Air will make a controlled descent.
- Auto-hover mode allows the pilot to maintain a steady altitude without having to manage the throttle.
- Isolated turbines with improved cooling and lubrication increase jet engine reliability and lifetime.
- Embedded stabilization independent of flight controls.
- Status indications via heads-up display inform pilot of engine status, fuel levels, altitude and speed.
- Independent engine electronics means any possible electronic failure can only effect one engine at a time and the Flyboard Air can still safely fly.
- Independent engine fuel supplies.
- Triple redundant flight controls - two wired systems, plus one wireless backup system.
- Quick release boots means the pilot can quickly let go of the Flyboard Air in case of an emergency water landing.
Manned & Unmanned Applications
The high capacity and stable nature of Zapata’s® VTOL air based products make them ideal platforms for previously impossible capabilities. Flyboard Air is the testing and proving grounds for a whole new category of VTOL flight. Zapata’s unique and patented approach is a scalable platform to meet a variety of uses. Especially applications that require, or benefit, from the power and speed that Zapata’s jet craft can achieve.
- Individual Mobility for Special Ops
- Hip to Ship, Ship to Shore,
- Quick Reaction,
- Presence Patrols
- Denied Area Penetration
- Vertical Deployment or Fixed Wing UAS
- Megacity ISR
- Autonomous Unmanned Evacuation
- Mass Casualty Resupply and Evacuation
- Emergency Access for Medical Personnel
- Rescue and Recovery
- Specialized Repair Platform
- Infrastructure Inspection
- Specialized Distribution
- Security and Recovery
Entertainment & Recreation
- Scheduled Appearances
- Air Shows
- Film and TV
- The Zapata EZ-Flight Experience
- For personal and recreational use, without need for a pilot's license. (EZ-FLY only).
|Maximum Speed||140 km/h||200 km/h|
|Maximum Altitude||150 meters||3,000 meters|
|Flight Time||6 minutes||30 minutes|
|Maximum Capacity||100 kg||200 kg|
The Evolution of Flyboard™
Before there was Flyboard Air, there was Flyboard®, Franky Zapata’s original game changing invention that launched a new type of watersport all around the world.
Flyboard Air and E-Z Fly
Flyboard© and Flyboard Air work on the same principles and are controlled in the same way. In fact, anyone training to use the Flyboard Air must first train on a water Flyboard.
Coming full circle, Zapata is now applying electronic flight assistance (developed for Flyboard Air) to it’s newest hydroflyer, making it the first of its kind.
Zapata has been giving thousands of people the joy of flight for years in the world of watersports. Before there was Flyboard Air, there was (water) Flyboard™, Franky Zapata’s original game changing invention that launched the sport of hydroflight around the globe. Zapata now has four hydroflyers that allow users to fly in a variety of ways using the power of their Jet Ski®.
The new Zapata Flyride™ is designed to make hydroflight accessible for beginners and offer new thrills for extreme riders.Learn More >
Zapata’s original hydroflyer and flagship product that took the world by storm and water sports to new heights.Learn More >
Hoverboard by ZR®
The Hoverboard combines the adrenaline rush of surfing and snowboarding with the excitement of being airborne.Learn More >
Jetpack by ZR®
The seated position is less demanding for riders. The controls and futuristic design make you feel like a pilot.Learn More >
Frequently Asked Questions
How high can it fly?
How much weight will it carry?
How much does it weigh?
What is the flight radius?
What does it cost?
Can we demonstrate indoors?
Can anyone else demonstrate the Flyboard Air?
What is the price of a demonstration?
Do we need specific authorization for demonstrations?
Are the flights authorized everywhere?
How much fuel does it use per flight?
How do you know the altitude?
How do you know the airspeed?
Can it fly in bad weather?
Can it fly at night?
What is the radar signature or cross-section?
Any airworthiness certifications?
Can it carry a passenger?
Can it be armed?
Can you fire a weapon while flying it?
Can it be made unmanned?
Can it replace a parachute?
Can it operate from a ship?
How can you communicate with other people in the air or on the ground?
How loud is it?
Can you make it quieter?
What are Zapata’s next steps in aviation?